To pawpaw or not to papaya

My fingers are burning, I still haven’t learnt. Apparently there IS a difference between your normal capsicum, crunchy and refreshing, and those devils in disguise. I’m talking hot – wicked hot.

Down at the market you yourself are hot, bothered and sweating profusely (which doesn’t really distinguish it from any other day) so you often forget to notice those subtle differences between the neatly piled capsicums so ready to jump into your bilum (traditional netted bag). One wizened and sun-loved lady today said to me you can hear the difference. Hear the difference? Of a capsicum? Capsicums talk?? Well, who knew volcanic soil carried that many nutrients.

Although I’m yet to test this ‘tried theory’ with my K1 pile of fresh capsicums courtesy a hot, bothered, sweaty AND RAINY visit to the market this afternoon, I will be sure to launch an all-out embargo on that lady if I once again wake in the middle of the night in pain after unconsciously rubbing my eyes.

Lesson 11: Before venturing to PNG practice the national language Tok Pisin (Pidgin English), the local dialect Tok Ples (location specific) and Capsicumish.

I guess I can’t complain too much though. One other market specimen which I was not overly fond of pre-PNG and always questioned how my Dad could love it so much is Papaya. Kudos to Wiki, yes it is in fact ‘Papaya’ and not technically its common name ‘Pawpaw’ referred to by the locals. But to test this Wiki-theory, I introduced this topic into a small talk conversation at a housewarming over the weekend to capture a broader opinion on the matter… Bad news, the jury is still out. But all agreed that East New Britain has bragging rights over the best whatever-fruit-you-want-to-call-it in the world. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, with yoghurt, lemon juice or in a soup (yep!) Papaya is the best thing since sliced bread. Or the other way around? Chicken, egg, same difference.

Lesson 12: Let us not hold prejudice in a name. Whether pawpaw or papaya it is still a rightful member of the food chain. And it’s what’s on the inside that counts anyway.

Since we’re already wandering the imaginary rows of the market-place, I feel it necessary to relay the sometimes incomparable size of the produce. Example 1 – capsicum. Tiny little buggars, full of seeds. And as previously noted, sometimes spicy but don’t worry they will whisper in your ear whether they’ve had chilli for breakfast or not… Example 2 – papaya/pawpaw. MASSIVE!!! Baby size but not that heavy, considering. If you covered two netballs side-by-side with papier machè you’d be getting close to how big these staple fruits can get. Example 3 – avocado. They’re on steroids. Similar size and shape to a lawn-bowl ball.

Lesson 13: Volcanic soil turns everything into teenage mutant steroidal crops.

Comments

Popular Posts